How to start a blog is not the same thing as how to monetize a blog. My time in college would not have been so blissful if I didn't figure out a way to make $80,000 a year blogging. As a senior who was making such an amount yearly, it was disturbing to see so many people believing that blogging was impossible. For sure, it would take some time to maximize the potential, but even the first year could be good too – I made $35,000 in my first year. Such a favorable beginning had a role to play in my relationship today.
How to start a blog is not as daunting as you might have heard. The more tricky part may be monetizing it but once we get to that bridge, we’ll cross it. Here’s how you can go about starting that dream blog that will finance those lavish dinners you dream of having with your partner.
How to start a blog and make money
If you're interested in becoming a blogger, you should start your blog with Bluehost. Bluehost has a money-back guarantee, 24/7 customer support, and other features that make blogging easier for both newbies and professionals. If you decide to start a joint blog where you and your partner actively run it, it’ll be significantly easier. It is known that the best relationships have partners that try new things together, and have fun in the process. In that proces you will easily learn how to start a blog.
If you haven’t found out what you and your partner would fancy as a team, you should be on the hunt for one. One of the best options you would come across is blogging. What better way to strengthen that bond than to talk about things that interest you both on the same platform, at the same time, and to the same people. Although a blog is sure to add to your income, a bigger reward from blogging is a stronger relationship!
Before going deeper into this tutorial, here are some blogging terminologies you’re likely to come across frequently:
1. Domain: The address of the website in question, in this case, yours. For instance, “lovebirds.com” is the domain of that website. It is the name of the website and it typically comes after the “www” of a company’s URL and after the “@” of a company’s official email address.
2. Web Hosting: Every blog must be hosted somewhere in the cloud for people around the world to access it. This means all blog codes, text, images, videos, etc. must be stored on a platform that gives access to visitors interested in your blog. An example of a web-hosting platform is Bluehost, which is the most popular one out there.
3. Website platform: You’ll need a platform where your blog’s content can be managed. This is where you place all the content that will then be hosted on your web hosting service of choice. The most popular website platform in the world today is WordPress.
4. Analytics: This refers to all data and information you gather around your blog. This helps you assess your blog’s performance as regards your target audience, what they’re most likely interested in, what time of day they visit the most, etc. Having such a wealth of information about your blog makes it easier for you to do more of the right things and do less of the wrong ones. For instance, when you notice that there's a particular niche of topics that your target audience does not interact with, you'd see that you either need to improve on how you're getting that message across or just stay away from that niche completely.
5. Traffic: This refers to the people that visit your blog. There could be direct or indirect traffic. Direct traffic refers to those visitors that input your domain into the address bar of their web browser to navigate straight to your blog. Indirect traffic refers to visitors that arrive at your blog from a third-party source such as a search engine or social media platform. You want to utilize both types of traffic as best you can.
You had probably come across these terminologies before or maybe you hadn’t. Irrespective, there you have them! Below are the step-by-step actions to take in how to start a blog process for you and your partner.
Stepwise actions How to start a blog for you and your partner
1. Factor your partner in every section of the blog
You should never forget that this blog isn't only for your personal use, but your partner's too. This is one mistake that many people in relationships make when starting a blog – they forget! The theme, type of content, images, text, etc. should all show that your partner was considered right from the very beginning. If the relationship has been on for a good while, you’ll know what type of content will make your partner smile. If it’s a relatively new relationship, all you have to do is cheekily ask to find out. If you’re not setting it up as a surprise, you can both sit and have a detailed conversation on the details of the blog.
2. Host your blog
There would be no blog on the internet today if there was no virtual room to store them in. You shouldn’t overlook or underestimate the importance of a good web hosting service for your blog. It is a major determiner of whether or not your audience will be able to access your blog. It could get frustrating working to create the perfect content for your visitors only to find out there are no visitors because your web hosting platform is asleep or undergoing an update that lasts hours. Every minute that your blog is down is a loss of potential new customers and valuable analytics that you could’ve used to improve the overall experience of your blog for your visitors.
With that said, you should opt for a web hosting service that has proved itself time and time again – Bluehost. Bluehost is easy to set up and would only take a few minutes of your time. Here is a list of what you stand to gain when you use Bluehost:
b. Free SSL status: This means your site transits from HTTP to HTTPS. The significance of this is that visitors see that your site is secure (and it is) so they're not worried about being exposed vulnerably to the internet.
c. WordPress-install in one click: As said earlier, WordPress is the largest website platform in the world today. Bluehost, being a seasoned name, works with WordPress to make the installation of the website platform an easy walk in the park.
d. 24/7 customer support: Should you ever need help with clarifying something on Bluehost, you will be swiftly attended to.
As of today, Bluehost powers well over 2 million websites around the world. One more interesting thing about Bluehost is that it has wallet-friendly. For such an established name, pricing from $3.95/month is more than fair. Although they have other pricing options which cost higher, the basic plan works fine while starting.
3. Creating and registering a domain
Next up is creating a domain for your blog. You can see this as the identification of your blog on the internet. The domain is the address that people input in the web browsers when trying to access your blog, much like the address of your home or office but this time, it’s virtual. Some thinking must go into the selection of a domain name. You don’t want to choose one that makes your visitor rack their brains. Long domain names make it impossible for your visitor to remember your domain when they’re trying to visit your blog and as you can imagine, that's bad for business.
When choosing a domain, select one that’s easy to remember and gets the message of the idea behind the blog across instantly. Any niche can make you money while blogging so just select one niche and stick with it. If your blog is centered on the daily life of you and your partner, you want the domain name to hint that – let your visitors know what to expect instantly! Remember, Bluehost allows you to select a domain name for free. Once you’ve created and registered your domain, you should then head to check out.
4. Install WordPress
Once you've defined your preferred login and password details on Bluehost, you can access a page that allows you to set up WordPress in one click. This is really as it gets and is only available via Bluehost. Even after WordPress is set up, you have the option of customizing the blog, with a theme that suits your style. Bluehost offers a ton of free options, which is just another one of the limitless list of bonuses that come with using Bluehost.
5. Select the theme for you
The design and overall look of your blog make up the theme of your blog. You have the option of selecting one that helps get the message that you and your partner are trying to get across. Thoughts should go into the selection of your team and so it will be a good idea not to rush into it. Doing this means you’ll likely select a random one that just seems to be interesting; best believe that this will negatively impact the conversion rate of your blog. You and your partner could take the time out to talk about it, maybe around dinner or during the evening walks.
If none of the free options catch your eye, you can choose to purchase a custom theme or even have an expert build one for you. Once you’ve received your custom theme, follow the following steps to get the theme on your WordPress blog:
a. Go to the “Appearance” tab
b. Click on “Add New”
c. Click on “Upload Theme”
d. Then upload the .zip file you’ll receive when you buy the theme:
i. It is automatically downloaded to your PC once your payment has been confirmed. Save the file and you may need to unzip it or leave it zipped depending on the instructions you’ll receive.
ii. Open the document named “Install Instructions” and follow the outlined steps.
e. Click on “Activate”
6. That’s all, you’re good to go!
You can now begin to upload content to your blog. Whatever the topic or niche, be it the incredible stories on how you met your partner or how the relationship is currently going, it’s completely welcome and people would be eager to see them. Should you encounter any issues while setting your blog via Bluehost, do not hesitate to contact Bluehost’s 24/7 customer support center.
There are various reasons why couples would choose to start a blog. The ability to blog to strengthen relationship bonds while simultaneously fetching in some money is too good an offer. If you see the potential and want that for you and your partner, follow the simple steps above and get your blog started!